A GLIMPSE TO OUR LONG... HISTORY!
Brunete lies east from Madrid, at approximately 30 km (19 miles). It has almost 11,000 inhabitants and it is very well connected thanks to the M-501 highway. There is also a very well commute system, which connects Brunete with Madrid’s two most important intermodal transportation hubs, Moncloa Line 627) and Príncipe Pío (Line 581). The town is surrounded by an incredible natural environment, the most important feature, the Parque Regional del Curso Medio del Río Guadarrama (Regional Park of the Middle Guadarrama River Basin). The town’s origin is still controversial. Any record that could help us regarding the subject, has disappeared. There are some signs that early settlements could date back to roman times. The villa, like other neighbor towns, would have been founded by segovian nomads, who chose this vast site known as the “Brunetas”, name it received from the thick, black cloths worn by those who worked the land. And it is from that term, that the name of the town comes from.
During the Arab invasion, it came into the hands of a Saracen known as “el Morillo”, who took residence in the castle of Villafranca. During the Modern Age, Brunete became a noble villa of which the Counts of Chinchon were in charge. It was the king Carlos V who granted them both the title and the villa. This went on until the 18th Century, when their descendants passed their rights over to the Marquis of Francavilla. However, it wouldn’t be until 1869 that the town would stop depending legally from Chinchón. The looms and tanneries, which had been characteristic to the town, soon disappeared, leaving it to agriculture to lead the town’s economy. In July 1937, Brunete became the setting of one of the most important battles the Spanish Civil War saw. It destroyed the town almost completely. The town we know nowadays was rebuilt during the 40s. A new town centre was built as well as a main square, of Herrera style, from where the rest of the town’s map is traced.